Thursday, July 18, 2013

Meet the researcher!

        My name is Blake R. Rupe and I am a Master of Arts candidate at the University of Iowa.  Here I am at the beginning of this research study standing on the shore of study site number 1.  I study international marine conservation and my main focus is on marine debris and garbage along the coastal zone of Mexico's Gulf coast.  I completed this research study in Heroica Veracruz from May to July, 2013, in an effort to truly understand the garbage presence situation along the coasts of this incredible city.  I was drawn to study Veracruz because near the shores of the city is one of the most beautiful collections of coral reefs that I have ever seen.  These reefs are protected by the government, but this does not include preventing these ecosystems from an influx of floating garbage and debris, especially plastics. As you will see in the pictures below, garbage in the coastal zone of this city is at extreme levels.   In the weeks I was there, I collected over 1,800 pounds of garbage.  I was able to include the data from this research study in my Master's thesis, which analyzed the policies Mexico has adopted internationally and nationally that is supposed to keep coastal zones clean and prevent hazards from important, biodiverse ecosystems like the coral reefs of Veracruz. With this research, I was able to show that the policies Mexico has enacted nationally and internationally have in fact not trickled down to the local level, meaning that the coastal zones are not adequately protected by legislation alone.  Instead, it will take the cooperation and initiative of local stakeholders that rely on clean, healthy oceans to promote a reduction in garbage and marine debris in an effort to maintain these important ecosystems for future generations.  To read the full study or the policy analysis thesis, check out my LinkedIn page here: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/blake-rupe/65/681/596 or email me at blake.rupe@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment